Wednesday, July 13, 2011

This is where the writing begins

I write a lot. I have probably written enough pages last year to fill several novels. Most of it you never see. Annotated bibliographies of Margery Kemp and Teaching Writing with the Non-fiction of Edgar Allan Poe, you could probably do without. But I write some things that I fancy other folks would like to see, only I don't usually show you that either.

I am very interested in how people write. When I read, I think about how the writer birthed the baby I am adoring. I love a good string of words--sentences that pull my eyes closer to the page, inviting a lingering exploration. I trace them as they switch back line after line, thinking about how a brain could pull bits of information together to create a totally new use of words, a metaphor newly hatched, deserving of accolades and eventual cliche status.

What with all that interest in how writers write, I thought it would be a good thing to make this a place of writing in process and progress. Whatever I am working on will be here at some point. I will post as I write. That could make it difficult, as I write several things at the same time. So, I am going to post links to the earlier versions or drafts in each post. You can look at one post and see everything that is related.

I am writing a book of short stories, a book about having Asperger's Syndrome, and, of course, the poetry. I have a novel for young adults about 2/3 done, but it doesn't want to be messed with at the moment. Dang teenagers. Right now, the short stories are clamoring for attention.

3 comments:

spookyrach said...

I cannot TELL you how curious I am about your book for young adults. I betcha you ain't used the word "sparkle" in there a single time.

Cyn Huddleston said...

No. Sparkle, I think not. The protagonist is a boy. He is not very into sparkling.

annie said...

I can tell already, I am going to enjoy seeing/reading/following this process!

The only thing that will bother me is being left hanging, wonder what will happen next, or how things might change from one draft to the next!